Why Fat Is Good- Fat Transfer Procedures
Do you have a little extra fat on your belly, hips, or backside? You may think that extra fat is bad, but the reality is, it can come in handy. We can use your unwanted fat to shape and contour other areas. Learn how fat transfer can enhance the body from head to toe.
What Is Fat Grafting?
Do you feel like you have fat in all the wrong places? Fat grafting, also known as fat transfer or fat injection, is a procedure that moves fat from an area with excess into an area that is lacking in volume. It can be used to enhance many areas including the face, hands, breasts, and buttocks. Fat transfer can be highly effective and has an excellent safety record. Fat grafting is a two-part procedure. First, fat is removed from an area with excess using liposuction. This fat is cleaned, prepared and placed into syringes. When the fat is ready, it is injected into the body. We inject the fat at various depths to ensure a smooth, natural looking appearance. The transferred fat will establish a blood supply over time and become a lasting part of the treated area.
Your Fat Transfer Questions Answered
Do you have questions about the fat transfer procedure? Call our offices to schedule a consultation with Dr. Munasifi. He’ll provide personalized answers and advice during your consultation. In the meantime, find answers to some common questions about fat transfer below:
- How Long Do Fat Transfer Results Last? - Fat transfer can provide long lasting results. With a skilled surgeon like Dr. Munasifi, results are often permanent. Some fat may be lost, especially right after surgery. Losing volume in the treated area is expected for a few months, but once you’re fully recovered, you should enjoy your results for a long time.
- Which Areas Are Best for Harvesting Fat? - Fat can be harvested from many different areas. We often use fat from the waist, thighs, hips, abdomen, flanks, etc. We’ll choose an area that you want to shape and contour. Fat grafting improves two areas at once, the area where we remove fat and the area the fat is transferred to.
- What’s Recovery Like After Fat Grafting? - Recovery timelines vary depending on the amount of fat transferred and the areas treated. We’ll give you a better idea of what to expect during your consultation. Swelling is expected and is usually the most pronounced in the first week or two. You may feel soreness, tightness, and bruising. We may ask you to minimize activity or to avoid placing pressure on the treated areas to ensure that fat can establish a blood supply in the new location.
- Will Weight Fluctuations Affect My Fat Transfer Results? - As you gain and lose weight, your fat cells change size. For the best results, remain at a stable, consistent weight after fat transfer. Losing or gaining weight can change the appearance of the treated areas.
- When Will I See Results After Fat Grafting? - You’ll see changes immediately after fat transfer, but it will take a few weeks to achieve your final results. Expect to lose some of the transferred fat during recovery. Swelling takes a few weeks to resolve.
- I Don’t Have a Lot of Extra Fat. Am I a Candidate for Fat Grafting? - For successful fat grafting, a patient must have sufficient fat available. Most patients have plenty of fat for fat transfer, but if you’re very thin, you may not have enough. Come see us for a consultation. If you don’t have sufficient fat, we may be able to use dermal fillers or implants to achieve a similar result.
- What Is Scarring Like After Fat Transfer? - To ensure minimal scarring, we carefully place incisions in inconspicuous locations when possible.
We know you have other questions. A consultation will provide answers to any questions you may have about the procedure. Schedule yours today!
Tips for a Successful Fat Transfer Treatment
Love your body even more than you already do after fat transfer. To get your best results, try these tips:
- Choose Your Surgeon Carefully- Choose a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience performing fat transfers. If you’re in the Arlington or McLean, Virginia area, Dr. Munasifi is an excellent choice.
- Follow Recovery Instructions- Transferred fat is very sensitive and delicate until it has established a blood supply. Follow your recovery instructions carefully to maximize the amount of fat that is successfully transferred.
- Avoid Weight Fluctuations- Weight fluctuations can impact your results. Try to remain at a stable weight after surgery.
Three cheers for extra fat! When you put your fat to work, it means a better body for you. Call today and learn more about fat transfer.
Leave A Comment
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.